- Melbourne Fleet AGM – 1st Sept 1900
Dear Melbourne Etchells Fleet,
Well, things haven’t gone quite according to plan but if we just hang in there we’ll get out on the water one day!
The current restrictions do mean holding the Melbourne Fleet AGM via Zoom (no longer a novelty right?). Let me know by return email if you plan to attend. I will send the Zoom invitation to those who rsvp.
Date: 1 Sept 2020
Time: 7:00 pm AEST
FYI the Melbourne Fleet exec has decided to hold subscriptions to the minimum for 20/21 (with no fleet levy).
Etchells Melbourne Fleet
- Information for Etchells States Competitors
Please note the amendment to the NOR for the Victorian State Titles, and that the SIs have also been posted. The main change from the original NOR is to the number of races. Based on member feedback, there is an appetite for shorter races in regattas and more of them. In response to this, the Melbourne Fleet and Regatta Organising committee in consultation with the Etchells National Executive has agreed to trial this revised format. The objective will be to run nine short races over the three days rather than 6 longer races as has been habitual with the VIC States in the past. The regatta page (see link below) has NOR Amendment 1 and the amended NOR itself, as well as the SIs.
A donation has been made to the bushfire appeal on behalf of the Etchells Melbourne Fleet and the entrants in the VIC State Titles with the wording “The Etchells Melbourne Fleet and participants in the upcoming VIC State titles are thinking of all the people on the long road to recovery after the bush fires and wishing them well.” This takes the total up to our $10k target. The fund-raising page finishes after the States so there is still an opportunity to make a donation if you wish to do so. Etchells Bushfire Relief
We are keeping the regatta simple with the focus on excellent racing. However we encourage you to come to the club before and after racing to enjoy a meal at the restaurant. On the last day after racing there will be a barbecue on the deck, along with the prize giving.
John Curnow will be posting regular updates to the Etchells Australia Facebook site.
We look forward to seeing you for a terrific weekend of racing!
- Nationals/ States T-shirts available $30 each
Nationals/ States T-shirts available $30 each. Contact Niesje if you are interested – firstname.lastname@example.org or 0417 594 018
- Schedule for Wednesday 8 January
8 January will be a great chance to meet your fellow competitors throughout the day.
- 1100 – competitor briefing upstairs in the Members Bar. Meet your Race Officer. This will also be an opportunity to meet Class Measurer Shaun Ritson. After the briefing. Chris Hampton will provide a 10 minute introduction to the Sail Acquisition discussion later in the day.
- There will be spot checks of boats by Shaun Ritson out on the hard stand throughout the day
- 1300 – Practice race
- 1630 (approx.) – discussion in Members bar about proposed rules changes associated with Sail Acquisition
- 1800 – complimentary barbecue for competitors and volunteers and wine tasting by our sponsor Sherwood Estate Wines
We look forward to seeing your there!
- Class Measurer Shaun Ritson
Please note you will have the opportunity to meet Class Measurer Shaun Ritson at the Competitors briefing on 8 Jan (scheduled for 11:00 am). Shaun will also conduct spot checks during the day.
- Regatta sustainability
For all our regattas we do not provide water in disposable plastic bottles. We request that you to bring your own refillable bottles and fill them at the taps around the club.
Please access all race documents electronically. There will be no printing of Sailing Instructions or other Race Documentation.
- Coaching opportunities with RBYC Head Coach
RBYC has one of the best coaching offers of any yacht club around the nation with our very own resident Head coach
If you would like to accelerate the learning curve of any aspect of racing or boat handling or general tactical concepts consider booking a session with our Club Coach Adrian Finglas, who is available to assist at very reasonable rates. It’s super easy to do so, just contact Francesco at the RBYC Sailing Office at RBYC.
Adrian has world class Knowledge in the Etchells class with coaching world and National Champions, Adrian himself was second in the 2005 Etchells world championships so has a wealth of knowledge.
Available from 3rd January 2020 for the Nationals
RBYC Members Rates Non Member Rates Coach Rate Rhib Hire Coach Rate Rhib Hire 1-2 boats $50 $15 $65 per hour $65 $25 $90 per hour 3-4 boats $80 $15 $95 per hour $95 $25 $115 per hour 5+ boats $110 $15 $125 per hour $125 $25 $150 per hour
- 2020 Nationals “After Racing”
- As soon as practical after racing each day there will be an informal get-together and prize giving at the club.
- Our sponsor Sherwood Estate Wines will be running a wine tasting on Wednesday evening, which will be accompanied by a complimentary barbecue for competitors and volunteers.
- On Monday and Tuesday the club is open for meals to 1500 and “light bites” to 1800.
- From Wednesday through Sunday the restaurant is open for meals until 2100, with daily specials available.
- Friday night there is music on the deck from 1800.
- The prize giving on 12 January will kick off as soon as practical after racing (and allowing interstate boats to get themselves organised)
- All events will be informal and brief, and we look forward to seeing you there
Boats for Charter
Etchells 961 is available for charter for the Nationals or States – contact email@example.com